Thanksgiving is a time to find gratitude for family and friends. And this year, instead of bringing canned cranberry sauce, step up this year! Try some of these easy and delicious recipes to add some flavor and protein to your Thanksgiving dinner.
Hemp hearts are full of protein, fiber, and omega-three fats, making them super popular in vegan, gluten-free, and low carb diets. In just three tablespoons, you're talking 2.5 grams of omega 3's, 1.5 grams of monounsaturated fats, 3 grams of fiber, and 10 grams of protein. Not to mention, hemp hearts also contain iron! Check out these delicious recipes to fill your heart this thanksgiving.
This side dish is always a hit. The sweet and spicy notes of the hemp hearts give the crispy brussel sprouts just the right balance of flavor! Taking off the leaves is a bit time consuming but well worth it. Check out how to make this side dish below.
- 2 lbs. large brussel sprouts
- 2–3 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 oz. Hemp Hearts
- 1 oz. Humming Hemp Spicy Hemp Hearts
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Cut the stem from one brussel sprout, and remove loose leaves. Transfer to a large bowl. Continue this until you get to the small core and discard it.
- Drizzle leaves with olive oil and add a pinch of salt. Using clean hands, spread leaves evenly onto two large rimmed baking sheets. Roast until leaves are crispy and golden, 10–12 minutes, stirring several times during cooking to prevent leaves at edges of the pan from burning.
- Remove from the oven. Transfer to a serving platter, and sprinkle with hemp hearts. Toss gently to mix, season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve immediately.
Pumpkin Pecan Hemp Hearts Crumble Pie
This pie is as good as it sounds. Crunchy, spicy, and sweet- you will most definitely be enjoying seconds! Here's how to make this crowd-pleaser:
Ingredients – Makes 1 pie
- 4 oz mascarpone cheese, or cream cheese, room temperature
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 15 oz canned pumpkin puree
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- For the crumble
- ¾ cup almond flour
- ¼ cup brown sugar*
- ¼ cup hemp hearts
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- ¼ tsp salt
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 pre-made pie crust, cooled to room temp.
To prepare the crumble
- Whisk the dry crumble ingredients together, then cut in the cold butter with a fork. The butter pieces should be pebble-sized and even throughout.
- Pile the mixture onto a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake at 350° Fahrenheit for 10 minutes. Allow cooling while you prepare the filling.
To prepare the filling:
- Beat the mascarpone or cream cheese and sugar with a hand mixer until smooth.
- Add the pumpkin puree and spices and continue to mix until the cream is fully incorporated, followed by the beaten egg.
- Once the filling is smooth, scoop into the cooled crust and tent the crust's edges with foil to prevent over-browning.
- Bake at 350° Fahrenheit for 45 minutes, just until the pie is set.
- Remove from the oven and top with the prepared hemp crumble—Bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Let the pie cool completely to set before serving and enjoy!
Hemp Hearts Power Cookies!
We love this Abbey's Kitchen Recipe. She describes them as "tasty enough for dessert, but healthy enough for breakfast!"
You will need these ingredients:
- 1 tbsp ground flax seed
- 2 tbsp unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 cup rolled oats gluten-free if needed
- 1 ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 very ripe banana mashed
- 2 tbsp coconut oil melted
- ¼ cup almond butter
- ¼ cup plus 1 tbsp maple syrup
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup dates minced
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- ½ cup Manitoba Harvest Hemp Hearts plus more for topping
- To make a flax egg, combine the flax and the almond milk in a small bowl and set in the fridge for an hour.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 F and place a Silpat on a baking sheet.
- In one bowl, mix the almond flour, oats, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt.
- In another, mix the banana, coconut oil, almond butter, maple, vanilla, and flax egg. Mix the dry into the wet until combined, fold in the dates, almonds, and Manitoba Harvest hemp hearts.
- Roll into small 2 tbsp balls and flatten them out on the baking sheet, so they're 1/2 inch tall. Sprinkle generously with more hemp hearts and bake for 12-15 minutes until golden brown.